Thursday, December 18, 2008

Well, here we go again.

As I assumed Maggie cannot tolerate the hydrolyzed milk proteins (the 2 ounces of formula she tried), as was evident in yet another bloody stool this morning. It's been very consistent that the blood shows up exactly four days after the introduction of the allergen. I've been doing more and more research, frantically, to try to get this figured out before this turns into something worse. When I say something worse, I mean potential food refusal in the future, failure to thrive, or worse case scenario a tummy tube some day. Some might think I'm exaggerating a bit, but I can assure you that this is happening to children with Maggie's allergy--they are enrolled in the program I work for!! We've got an appointment with Dr. Ally again tomorrow. I'm flat out demanding a referral to a pediatric gastroenteroligist. I've know things weren't going well for a long time, and I haven't' felt very validated in my concerns and observations. I'm going to do everything I can now to get this under control. Maggie's felt too yucky for too long, Zac and I have been unbelievably stressed, and I've missed so much work, it's not even funny. It's actually kind of a good thing we were required to take 24 hours of furlow--I've gone through almost all of it already. So here we go...I'm sorry I haven't had a lot of really positive updates lately, but I guess it's good for those of you who love and care about Maggie to know the reality of her situation right now. Once again, please wish us luck!

For your reading pleasure here's an article written by a mother in Boise who's daughter has the same allergy as Maggie. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21103719/from/ET/

2 comments:

Sara Smith said...

You should let people know that Maggie's child care center will purchase the very expensive formula for Maggie at school since they are required to feed all children while in their care (and adapt for children with allergies). This is because they are a USDA food program. This will help with cost and you can supplement with formula at child care if needed.

Sara Smith said...

I also wanted to mention to friends and family that we need to support Melissa, Zac and Maggie as much as possible during this time. Working with young children and families, I have recently came across another family living in the area with the same allergies as Maggie. This family has had a lot of struggles with this food allergy and their daughter is now on a tummy tube. This is not something to take lightly. There is no easy solution. The hypoallergenic formula is horribly expensive. Sometimes costing as much as $800.00 a month. I would like to praise Melissa and Zac for all of their hard work in doing everything they can to make their beautiful and perfect daughter happy and healthy.
Auntie Sara