Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Directions on Caring for Baby Maggie

I stumbled upon these directions that ZAC, yes, I typed that correctly, ZAC typed up for Sara and Brad the very first time we left Maggie, I believe she was just about a year old. Reading over it made me laugh. It also made me miss my baby girl...ENJOY

Hopefully since you are reading this, you remembered to pick up Maggie and bring her home. She is sorry if she cried on the ride home from school.

Diaper changes
  • Maggie has a very bad diaper rash so be very gentle when wiping in and around her butt
  • If the diaper was only wet, use the pat method and less wiping
  • If the diaper was poopy, use one or two thin washcloths (in diaper basket) with warm water to wipe her clean
  • Apply prescription cream to butt (use lots)
  • Check diaper frequently
  • Maggie will forgive you no matter how sad she looks when you change her
Here is a rough outline of her typical Friday night: Assuming she napped well at school, she can play for about 15 minutes while you prepare her dinner. Tonight we suggest that she have the following:
  • 1 Rice Patty (thawed in the fridge): microwave for approximately 20-30 seconds and cut into bite size pieces. We typically will give her about a quarter of the patty at a time.
  • ½ cup heated potatoes (small metal tin in the fridge): microwave on a plate for approximately 20-30 seconds. Make sure the potatoes are cooled before serving.
  • Cup of water (with ice and straw)
  • Purley O’s or Puffs as needed if she is still hungry and asking for more
  • 1-2 cookies, 3 at the most but if she asks for a third, don’t be surprised if it ends up in Boston’s mouth instead of hers.
Once Maggie is “all done”, wipe her hands and face and release her to play in the living room with her toys while you prepare her bath (your choice, baby tub in the sink or the bathtub but we highly recommend tub in the sink).

Bathtime
  • Her tub is on the top shelf of her closet, towel is on her towel hook next to her closet, washcloths are in the hallway top-right drawer, soap and cup are on the top-right shelf above the kitchen sink.
  • Water should be luke-warm (mid 90’s)
  • Wash her entire body with her soap (go easy on her butt)
  • If she is having fun, we typically let her play for a while in the tub. Sometimes we wash her very quickly because she is not having fun and wants out.
  • Apply fresh rash cream on the butt and a clean diaper.
  • Pajama time!
Bedtime
  • Depending on her temperament, she may want to play for 10-30 minutes before going to bed. Base her bedtime on her attitude.
  • If she is starting to get fussy, it may be time for a story in her room.
  • If she is full-blown fussy, she can have her bottle and go directly to bed
  • She will need a 6 ounce bottle just before you lay her down to go to sleep
  • Clean pacifiers are in the flannel basket on the bookshelf in her room. She will need them if she isn’t going to sleep and keeps throwing them out of her crib.
Call/text Zac’s phone if you need anything.


5 comments:

Sara Smith said...

I don't remember this. Maybe you reassured Zac that we already knew her schedule and routines fairly well and didn't end up giving it to us. Was this when you went to Salmon?

SarahShaw said...

That's hilarious! Reading this, one could assume that Sara and Brad had never been around a baby/toddler before and had NO clue what they were doing.

The Luangaphay Family said...

I couldn't stop laughing reading this. I don't think I have ever written down the routine but I know I give some people an ear full when I am explaining what I do. This made my day.

Melissa Crist said...

@Sara: I can't remember if it was the Salmon trip or not. I do remember Zac typing and printing this for you, and kind of giggling a little bit thinking about you reading it...apparently you didn't!

Julie said...

That cracked me up!