Monday, January 30, 2012

The School of Sissy

Today it became clear to me why I blog about my children...in the chaos of life I need to slow down and remember the details of their childhood, I need to reflect where they are in their development and how I can support them as their mother. I need to take breaks from school, from housework, from all those other things, and focus on them. Sometimes I just need to be a mother, and not a child development specialist. I need to realize I'm not perfect, I also need to realize that not every aspect of my children's behavior is a direct result of some mishap in my parenting---this if tough though, especially over this last year, and over the last few weeks where both my children have challenged me.

Today...
I arrived at Magnolia's preschool early today and stood outside the class watching her through the window. She was building with blocks with another child in the class, a boy. They were talking quite a bit. I watched as she transitioned to small group and one of her new teachers measured how tall the other children were with links, Maggie stepped up to be measured too, talking the whole time to her teacher.

When we arrived home from school I had one more research article to read, and I knew I had to read it quickly because River was napping, and he doesn't nap long. Maggie asked if we could change her pink room into a classroom, she began that transition as I finished my reading.

Pink room was finally a classroom---an infant classroom. She had developmentally appropriate toys set out for free exploration, she had a "family style" snack set up at the table, she had a space to provide some care and comfort, and a nice little nook for rests---she is her mother's daughter. Her brother awoke and she kindly asked if she could be his teacher.

Brother loved his "first day of school." I don't think he could have asked for a better teacher. She was patient, she followed his lead, she re-directed---it was beautiful.


Tonight when I got home from class (my long class which she dreads) she was full of questions about my day at school. She asked me if I listened to my teacher's words (it was Janice Fletcher, so I most definitely listened to her words) and then she asked me if I talked to "my friends." She asked their names, I tried to recall the names of the other graduate students in my class to her.

Before bed she filled me in with more details of her school day, and our plans for the next day. A birthday card and a piece of the chocolate zucchini bread we made together would need to be prepared in the morning for her friend Cora, who we coincidentally saw at preschool although she doesn't go there, and had informed Maggie that today she was four!

As she whispered one last detail to me (she puts her ear to my ear to whisper to me), she shared that we would do lots of things tomorrow, and I'm sure we will...

No comments: