Friday, November 26, 2010

Sympathy

On Wednesday when Maggie and I were at home making our Thanksgiving day preparations I got a call from a friend. My friend shared some devastating news---a mutual friend of ours, Kevin, had been killed in a one car roll over in California, where he was currently living. His body was found on Tuesday down a 100 foot embankment in Mammoth, CA, after a severe snow storm. He had been dead for hours, and the accident was under investigation. I was in shock.
So there I was trying to process this news that one of my best friends that I had gone to high school with, college with, and had still remained close to, was now gone. I started bawling.
Some feelings you can keep under control, and some you just can't. Kevin was my steady friend. I know that no one ever expects such tragic deaths, but for some reason I just felt it couldn't be true. Not Kevin. He was the one who always drove me to Moscow in the winter when the roads were bad and I didn't want to drive, he's the one I always called first thing when I got home for the holidays before he transfered to U of I, he was the one who always made me laugh, or thought of something fun to do when when I was upset about something.
So here I am, in front of my daughter, visibly losing control. I got down at her level, tried to control the sobs for a minute and explained to her that I was sad. She said "Mommy sad?" and then she stroked my cheek. I told her that my friend got hurt, and he died, and that made me really sad. She said "I give you a hug Mommy." I picked her up and she put her little arms around my neck, and gave me a big squeeze. She then preceded to give me about ten kisses right on the mouth. She then patted my back, and said "I love you Mommy."
Zac got home a few minutes later, and I was able to pull it together a little better. The rest of the night as I would start to tear up, or get lost in my memories with Kevin, Maggie would look at me and say "Mommy, you sad?" I would tell her I was and she'd give me a big hug. Zac gave me lots of hugs and kisses too. Although he wasn't as close to Kevin, he had considered him a friend too, and he knew how close Kevin and I had been.
It's times like these that you realize that you can get through the hard stuff because of the love of those around you. I was amazed how receptive, thoughtful, and sympathetic even my two year old could be when I needed her the most.
I've realized how quick lives can change, and how much we need to let those that are closest to us know that we love them. I'm so lucky for the loved ones in my life!

Kevin Scott Green
1980-2010

2 comments:

jessica Smith-fisher said...

Sorry for you lost. Glad your daughter is there is to comfort you.

Sara Smith said...

We are lucky to have know such an amazing person and to have so many wonderful memories of Kevo. FYI- Think of Kevo waking up in our apartment on the couch and what always happened..it will make you giggle.