
One of the student staff at the children's center helps Maggie work on tracking.
Maggie and her good friend cuddling yet again for another walk in the stroller.
Maggie's had kind of a rough day and a half. As careful as I am with my diet, it appears as though I've digested some milk proteins from the Splenda minis I've been putting in my decaf coffee. I didn't think to check the ingredients on these, since I had checked the packets of Splenda and they were fine. Maggie's got diarrhea, a sore bottom and a gassy tummy now though, so I've learned my lesson. I've started journaling my diet (which is pretty much the same everyday) and Maggie's symptoms. I'm extremely annoyed that we can't do any allergy testing yet, and that the nurse mentioned using formula, which I was waiting for them to say in all reality. I just have the hardest time (I actually get emotional) when I think of feeding her something in which the second ingredient is sugar, and the third is casein (a milk protein). In the hypoallergenic formulas the milk proteins are broken down, so supposedly the body doesn't recognize it, but this isn't always the case. I would assume that if the body is allergic to anything, you shouldn't consume it in anyway. This is the "cheap" hypoallergenic formula, at around $30 for the small can. If this doesn't work you are supposed to move to a prescription only amino-acid based formula, which is even more expensive. I know breastfeeding is best, there is no doubt that it gives babies the best start, and in children with allergies it's even more important. I just hate feeling responsible every time she doesn't feel good. My goal though is to make it until she's six months old, and just be even more cautious. I don't care that I won't be able to eat out, or enjoy any of my favorite foods for a long, long time. I just want Maggie to feel good and be healthy.
Well, on a happy note, Zac and I have been married for 5 years today!! Wow, has our life changed a bit from 5 years ago. I love that we've gone through so much together--it just makes our marriage even stronger. We had been planning on a night out celebration, but with Maggie not feeling her best, we've decided on just going to get a grown-up drink somewhere and going to a hockey game. I just can't leave Maggie too long when I know she doesn't feel well. Good luck Auntie Sara and Uncle Brad--hopefully she's feeling better by the time you guys come over to play!
No comments:
Post a Comment